Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Getting to know.... CATSI & CO.





Another new addition to the Violent Green mix is Perth duo Catsi & Co. Bringing out some great stickers, bags, patches and socks. Basically all the fun things that make up a collection!
Catsi & Co are Cat (left) and Helen (right).

Violent Green shop rat Isha had the chance to pick the mind of (designer) Cat.

Shop the collection from Catsi & Co. here




HEY CAT! HOW DID YOU GET STARTED WITH CATSI & CO AND WHAT IS THE ORIGIN STORY AND WHERE DID THE NAME COME FROM?

I started Catsi when I was still at TAFE studying graphic design. I've always been a fan of stickers so at some point I realised I could just design my own and get them printed. We started selling them on the streets in Taiwan. I remember the first time we went out to sell them from a suitcase and charged around $0.01 cents per sticker. We ended up making enough money to buy bus tickets back home but we could see how people related to the designs and that made us want to do more about it. I had to choose an artist name at school so I called myself Catsi. It comes from my name (Cat) and the fact that I'm obsessed with cats.



Your work seems to be a bit of an homage to youth and street culture. Is this something that consciously informs your aesthetic?
Not really. I've never designed for any specific group. I just do things that I like and that I would wear myself. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

How do you go about starting a new design? What is the creative process?

Most of my designs are based on typography. I love playing around with words, names,  lyrics and then the rest of the design just follows.



Many of your designs make reference to the online world. How much do you think the internet and social media platforms (Tumblr, Instagram, etc) have influenced or affected your label?

I'm currently running 7 tumblr accounts (catxxxsi, psyparty, jumpsuitclub, 44percentalien, artbycatsi, catsiandco, psysp) and 2 instagram accounts @dshink is my personal account, you should check it out, I've tried to create something different with it. I also run @catxxxsi which is our label account. It is essential to be present in these platforms and follow the right people, brands, artists, poets and writers. In the end most of the ideas for my designs are just a mixture of everything I've seen on social media or while travelling and luckily I have the tools to create something original out of it.


What's your favourite thing to slap a sticker on?
I slap stickers on everything - suitcase, laptop, helmet, fridge, scooter, public transport passes, notebooks.


Do you listen to music when you work? What is currently on rotation?
Infected Mushroom is my number one band to design to and it is constantly on rotation.



What can we expect next from Catsi? Anything exciting on the horizon?

Catsi has always been kind of like a hobby. We both work 2 jobs and do Catsi on the side so when we get an idea we just do it. It's fun and we like to keep it that way and not be dependent on anything.  There are so many ideas so now we just need some time and dedication to make new things happen.

Thanks for taking the time guys, VG wishes you the best!


posted by simongreen

 CATSI & CO. IS AVAILABLE IN VIOLENT GREEN STORES + VIOLENT GREEN ONLINE STORE

No comments: